It was announced in the afternoon edition of the December 15, 1906, Racine Journal-News that J.M. Cooney had purchased land from Henry Eiler to develop the Racine Base Ball Park. The land was bounded by High, Forest, and St. Patrick Streets and Blake Avenue.
Cooney had been looking for a suitable site to build a new baseball park since it was announced earlier that summer that the popular Athletic Field on 16th Street was going to be sold and divided into city housing lots. The new park went by two names with the locals – the Racine Base Ball Park and Cooney Park.
This was the first sports use for the land that is now known as Historic Horlick Athletic Field. Cooney had also incorporated the Lakeshore League and was going to field a Racine team in the league.